Saturday, February 6, 2010

Once in a Lifetime

When I was younger, my parents would sometimes take us to do something because it was likele the only time in our lives we would get such an opportunity. Some of these activities involved all of us, while some just involved a few of us. Some of these were elaborate activities, like the time we all vacationed in Newfoundland. Others were much smaller and more simple, like going to the top of the Empire State Building. Even since I have left the nest, so to speak, I have continued to take opportunities, especially when I think it might be the only time I'll ever have such an opportunity. One example was the time I was invited into the Church Administration Building, where President Hinckley worked. Over the years, a surprising number of these once in a life time opportunities have come up more than once. Of course, many have also been just once so far. One event in particular that comes to mind was in late May or June of 1996.

I don't remember the exact date anymore, although I could dig up the photos and find out. My parents got all four of us up much earlier than usual for a school day. I was in third grade, and normally we got up at 6:15am. On this day, we were out of the house before 6:00am. We headed to the south end of town, because the Olympic Torch was going to be passing through town. I didn't know much about the Olympics back then, but everyone seemed to be making a big deal about this torch. As I understood, someone was running with a torch to Altanta, which seemed like a long run from New Hampshire! We got to the south end of town, and there was a huge crowd, and all the streets seemed to be closed. We joined the crowd, and waited a while. As a kid, it seemed like we were standing there for hours, when in reality it was probably less than half an hour. After we stood there for what seemed like forever, some vehicles came into sight. They passed slowly, and behind them was a guy, with a torch, running down the street. He only ran for a little bit, and then got to someone else with a torch. He lit the other torch, and then the next guy ran for a little bit. That guy lit another torch, and then a third person ran a little ways with that. As an eight year old, I thought the excitement was a bit overdone, because they guy only ran a hundred feet or so! I think I was excited because everyone expected it, although I really did not understand what was going on very well. Over the next few weeks in school, we talked a lot about the Olympics, and I began to understand a little bit, although I did not make the connection between the Olympics and running with torches. Whether I understood it at the time or not was not why my parents brought me to see that. They brought me because they knew I would eventually understand it, and it was very likely the only chance I would ever have to see such an event. They were quite justified in thinking that, because it is the only time they have seen it. As I have gotten older, I really never expected to relive that event. Yesterday proved me wrong on that expectation.

Yesterday evening the Olympic Torch reached Whistler, British Columbia. While this is part of the torch relay, it proved to be much more than that day in 1996, when we simply watched the torch go by. Whistler is one of the Olympic towns. When the torch got here yesterday, there was more going on than just having it pass through. All day long, there was live music and entertainment all over town. Some of the performers were local, and some were very well known. Grateful Dead and Justin Timberlake were both here yesterday, and did free concerts in the Village Square. Local choirs and performers were here. There were acrobatic performances, magicians, and comedians. It was all free to the public. At the Skiers Plaza, there was another stage set up, with more similar events. Right around 7:00pm, the torch made its way into Skiers Plaza. Skiers Plaza is where the town meets the mountain. You can ski down the mountain, pop your skis off, and then walk around town. The Olympic Flame was skied down the mountain, and into the plaza. Once in the plaza, it was relayed to the stage, where the Olympic Cauldron was lit. This cauldron will burn continuously until the Closing Ceremonies, in three weeks. There were speeches, and following the Whistler Opening Ceremonies, there was more free entertainment until late in the evening. Dignitaries included the Mayor of Whistler and the Primier of British Columbia. He is equivalent to a governor in the USA. The CEO of the Vancouver Olympic Committee was there, as well as athletes from Russia, the Czech Republic, the USA, Germany, Norway, and of course, Canada. There were probably many others that I did not see. This event generated the biggest crowd Whistler has ever seen. SKiers Plaza was absolutely packed. The excitement level of everyone there was extremely high. This is the first time Whistler has ever had the Olympic Torch, and certainly the Olympics. I understood pretty clearly what was going on this time! That flame came all the way from Olympia, Greece, and has visited every territory and province in Canada on its way here. Next week, that cauldron will be brought to Vancouver, where it will light the Vancouver cauldron at the Opening Ceremonies. That takes place on Friday, the 12th.

During all the festivities, as I mentioned, Whistler Village was quite crowded. Several other torch runners were hanging around town too. I got a picture with one of the runners and the torch. I have no idea who she is, I just asked if I could have a picture, and she was okay with that. She ran the torch earlier in the afternoon, through a place called Bandywine Falls, which is not far from here. I took other pictures of the festivities. It was dark, but some did turn out okay. I will post those eventually, when the internet I have access to is a bit faster. It is very exciting to be right in the middle of the Olympics. I would reccomend to everyone that you take some time off, travel if necessary, and go to the Olympics at least once. It is really neat to be here, in the middle of all the action.

2 comments:

  1. My dad would make me go to things like that sometimes. In 1989 at the tender age of 2 years old, my dad made me sit down and watch the TV as the Berlin Wall was being torn down on live TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, James. We actually had an influence on you. I love this post... this one and Karen's response to this one actually inspired one by me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here.

    And Tim - good for your father. I remember that day so well. November 9, 1989. It was a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete