Saturday, June 19, 2010

Dear Motor Home

Dear Motor Home,

I want to talk to you about your driving. This is something I do a lot, and I might know one or two things about.

I find your driving habits quite frustrating. The speed you choose to drive really bugs me quite a lot. I love to take the drive slow, and enjoy the scenery too, but usually I am not able to do that and stick to my schedule. It takes me a long time to pass you when I am in my coach bus, so I would appreciate it if you tried to travel close to the speed limit. It makes my life a whole lot easier. There are lots of places to pull off the road. You can use those to look at the scenery. They are also great to help out motorists behind you. Pull out if you're going slow, and let everyone behind you get past you safely!

Sometimes you do just the opposite, which is possibly more annoying. I know that you hate being stuck behind a coach, and I really cannot blame you. It can be hard to see around me in a bus. It really annoys me when you pass me, and then slow down in front of me. If you want to pass me, keep going faster than me when you get in front! I will pass you if you slow down like that!

You carry tourists all over Alaska. I have no problem with tourists, I move them around Alaska too. They can be really great people sometimes, and it is nice to show off your state. I understand all that. It really bugs me when you slow down to show them something with no warning at all. You do have turn signals, and it would be very helpful if you used them when you are turning off the highway or pulling over. Those of us behind you would know what you are about to do, which is quite helpful. Please use your turn signals, and if you want to be really helpful, use them before you step on the brakes!

Sometimes you pull your passengers'car behind you as you drive. That is fine, but please make sure you make all the connections so the lights work properly. I really would hate to run into their car simply because you couldn't be bothered to hook up the brake lights. This also goes for pulling trailers. It only takes a minute to hook all that up, and do a quick check to make sure it is working properly before you head out to the road!

The thing that bugs me the most about your driving habits actually has more to do with the people you carry. You are not selective about who you let sit behind the wheel. You may not realize this, but most of them have no idea how to handle a vehicle as large as you. Many are nervous about it, and a nervous driver can be very dangerous. Most of these problems would be avoided if you were simply more selective about drivers. I know, you are made of fiberglass, so you are very light and therefore not a commercial vehicle, but you still need better drivers. You are sometimes as big as one of the coach buses that I drive, even though you might be significantly lighter. You need to have drivers that understand principles like "tailswing," "off-tracking," and "planning ahead." It would help your drivers do so much better. Maybe then your drivers would not be afraid to go 65mph when that is the speed limit! Find better drivers!! Make sure they not only understand what they are getting into, but also make sure they actually are capable of handling a large vehicle!

Your help would really be appreciated. If you follow some of these simple safer driving steps, the roads will be better for everyone, and there will be fewer accidents. If not, you may end up like one of your brothers did today on the Parks Highway. I passed one of your brothers in shoulder, completely charred and smoking, a total loss, reduced to a propane tank and a skeleton. You wouldn't want that to happen to you, now would you?

Sincerely,
James the Driver

No comments:

Post a Comment