Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Train Travel

On October 4th, I began the last part of my journey from Anchorage, AK, to Mapleton, UT. The last part would be by train.

I boarded a SoundTransit train in Everett, WA, which took me to Seattle. At King St. Station, I waited for Amtrak. I would be taking the train to Sacramento, and then on to Provo, UT.

I boarded the Coast Starlight in Seattle. I had a roomette on the lower level of one of the Superliner Sleeping Cars. This train operates a first class parlor called the Pacific Parlour. This is unique to the Coast Starlight. The Pacific Parlour came from the Santa Fe Railroad, back when they operated passenger trains, before the creation of Amtrak. It is a Hi-Level car, which was a revolutionary new design for passenger cars that the Santa Fe and Pullman worked on. The Hi-Level cars were the inspiration for the modern Superliner cars, which Amtrak uses today on their western trains.

Early the next morning, we arrived in Sacramento. We actually arrived there over an hour ahead of schedule, so I was not awake yet when we got there. My attendant had warned me the night before that we would probably be there early, as that has been the trend lately. He also said not to panic if we got up and saw that we had arrived. He told us there was no rush, just as long as we were off the train by the time it had to leave, at 6:35am.

In Sacramento, I had a layover of a few hours. I actually wrote my last post on here from the station, and then finished it up on the next train, the California Zephyr. I boarded the California Zephyr around lunch time, and we began heading east towards the Sierra Nevada mountains and Donner Pass. The train climbed up over the pass, and eventually down the to the side to Truckee, CA, and Reno, NV. We crossed Nevada in the middle of the night, and then got to Provo, UT, early the next morning. Tim met me at the train station and from there we drove down to Mapleton, which is only a few minutes away.

Since my arrival Mapleton, I have been looking for a job and a mode of transportation. If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment